Sunday, May 16, 2010

I lift up my eyes!

Psalm 121: I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip, he who watches over you will not slumber. Indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you, the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm. He will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.

 Perhaps I look for signs of comfort from our Lord, but I don’t believe I do. God just seems to know what brings me joy and fills my spirit in His perfect and personalized way. A couple of months ago my husband and I were waiting the results of some important medical tests and I looked to the sky out my bedroom window and cried to God all my fears and concerns. A large flock of geese soon flew over in a perfect V formation. As they flew Northwest, I watched in awe as their formation morphed into a two upside down V’s connected together. The letter “M” was now forming. My eyes filled with tears as I read what I felt was a sign from heaven, “V, M”; “Victory McCart's”. God is good. All the time.


Now, a couple of weeks ago I received deep sorrowful news regarding a loved one. Again, I stood by my window and cried tears of grief. I was soon greeted by the bright yellow and black display of the season’s first goldfinch. He sat on my little beech tree quite content to let me revel in his beauty and praise our maker for such perfection. A few moments later a female rufous hummingbird with her beautiful green back, red brown sides and red spotted throat landed on a top branch above the goldfinch. She seemed to stay there for an eternity in hummingbird time, but was probably there only for about 15 seconds. Then as she started to fly off, a larger gray bird with a purple head and chest flew in front of the beech and then perched on the fence behind it. At first, I thought it was a rock dove, but then realized what I was, seeing was a band-tailed pigeon that was probably out visiting our near-by golf course, douglas fir and Pacific madrone trees. For just a split second, all three birds were together at the same time, and the pigeon and goldfinch seemed in no hurry to leave. As I looked at these morning visitors in complete awe, I felt God speak to my heart that he will make everything beautiful in His time. He will indeed watch over our lives now and forever.


My husband recently had surgery, but last week we learned that he must undergo a larger and very delicate surgery very soon. As we returned home from the doctors with heavy hearts, we noticed very quickly that near our front door was a huge moth. This moth was behaving strangely because he stayed strangely stalwart, with his wings upright like a butterfly, not outstretched like a moth. He had beautiful feather like antennae, gorgeous eye-spots and a Nike-like swash on each of his wings. He was very patient with me and let me measure one of his wings, which was over two inches wide. I looked him up in my insect guide and found that he was a Cecropia moth, and is one of the largest moths in North America. Cecropia moths don’t usually fly west of the Rocky Mountains, but here he was on my porch. He stayed there for four days, a winged sentry, not moving as if stunned to find himself on the West coast on a bright yellow house. Did God send him our way to remind us that even though we have not traveled this path before, He will not sleep, indeed, he will not slumber as he watches over us? I don’t know the real answer, I just know that God loves me and his promises are real. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment