Sunday, January 4, 2015

What a Difference a Day Makes



 
Christmas is over, the amaryllis bloomed on Christmas morning, and I’m still savoring the memories of my husband’s amazing smoked brisket with ten members of our family around the Christmas Eve dinner table.  This year was especially wonderful because our daughter Kirsten, son-in-law Kent, and our grandchildren, Greta (6) and Oliver (2), stayed overnight, which meant on Christmas morning we rewarded by two excited children peeking into their Christmas stockings and ripping open their presents with unrestrained glee, followed by their parents opening loving heartfelt gifts to each other.  Watching their Christmas morning unfold in our living room was so powerful and sacred to me, I found myself with tears streaming down my face at one point, because I felt in that moment, completely and overwhelming filled with unblemished peace.  Our wooden floor was soon entirely covered with toys, scraps of wrapping paper, torn boxes, and assorted ribbons all in utterly perfect chaos.  Later, we ate a satisfying breakfast feast of huevos rancheros, a much needed protein addition from all the Christmas cookies and candies.  God is good, and I feel loved up.
 


 Now it is a new year, and a usual I ponder why it feels so good to polish off one year and start another. Why does the first of January pack such a hope-filled punch when the night before was just another night? What a difference a day makes, but why? Certainly marketers know this is true - in January you will see the assorted plastic bin events begin as we apparently all jointly decide to organize our stuff and get rid of items we no longer need.  Diets begin afresh, and vendors for diet programs and gym membership draw us into their folds once more.
It would seem we all need, or at least crave the need, to draw a line in the sand and separate ourselves from our mistakes, sad events, or just our big ball of life, and break it down into a more manageable length of time: 12 months.  “That was last year”, we can tell ourselves. “This year will be different. This year I will be more mindful of the beauty in each day, be more disciplined, and be more thankful for my family and friends. This year my loved one won’t be sick or die. This year…this year will be better.”
As I look out into what 2015 will hold, I know of some simmering sadnesses that will be played out in some way, but I also know there will be warm, deep hugs from loved ones, jokes and smiles, and indescribable beauty, and as Psalms 33:5 says, “The Lord loves righteousness and justice, (and) the earth is full of his unfailing love.”
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment